Tuesday, November 12, 2013

English-u Movie...!

Like the few other million people in this world, I too, watched ''The TWILIGHT Saga'' (Movie) And continue to watch reruns whenever I can. The time I used to see the film, Amma would brush it off as 'just another TV show' and never really bothered.


Couple of days back, when I was watching a re-run, I didn't really expect a change.
Big Mistake.
I was seeing the re-run most intently and my mother plopped next to me.

"Ennada paakara?" 
[What you watching?]

"Twilight, ma"

"Nee eppavum ithayave paarthutu iruka? nalla padama?" 
[You've been watching this movie often? Good movie?]

"Sema movie ma"

She watches for sometime and also sees me giggling at Bella Swan' antics.












"I dream about being with you forever." - Bella SwanTwilight ❤


"Ennada solraanga? Onnume purila. Avan yaaru?"
[What are they saying? I don't get it. And who's that guy?]

"Edward Cullen, ma"

"Apo andha ponnu?"
[Then who's the girl?]

" Bella Swan"


"Adhu avaaloda kozhandhaiya?"
[Is that their baby(Young Bella)?]

"Aama"
[Ya]

"So Edward Cullen-um Bella Swan-um husband wife dhaane?"
[So they are husband-wife right?]

"Illa ma"
[No ma]

My mothers eyes go wide.

"Ennada solra, avunga rendu paerum orey veetula-la irukkanga, KOZHANDHA irukku, aana avunga husban wife illaya?"
[What are you saying? They are in the same house, they have a BABY, but they aren't husband-wife?]

My mouth turns dry. I try to explain it to her.

"Illa ma, live-in relationship maari vechukoyen."
[No ma, it's like a live-in relationship]

"Apo ava rendu paerum orutharum orutharum ................... (fill in blanks)?"
[So they've slept with each other?]

I blink at her bluntness.

"Apdinnu vechukoyen"
[Yeah I guess]

"Aama, andha Bella Swan oda amma appakku theriyuma? Kozhandha paththi?"
[Ok, Bella Swan’s parents know about the baby?]

Clearly, all those Sun TV mega serials have left a deep impact on her.

"Haan, theriyum"
[yea, they know]

"Cha, ponna control panna therila, enna amma appa? Indha Americans-ey ipdidhaan, culture-ey illa!"
[What, don't they know how to control their daughter? God!]

"Uh, sollamudiyaathu. Maybe they were ok with it"

"What ok? Love pannu, seri oththukalaam, aana kalyanam pannama kozhandha peththupaangala? Andha Bella Swan thappichcha, If I were her mother, things would have been different."

I swallow. And change the channel.

"Yaen channel-a maathara? Adha vei, nee enna paakarennu enakku theriyanum."
[Why you changing the channel? Keep it, I want to see what you watch]

My mother continues to watch it and give her feedback, while I continue to swallow my own spit.

"Andha ponnu yaaru?"

"Victoria" ma"

"Ava andha payyanoda dhaana irundha? Yenna paeru...aan, James. Avan yen indha aal oda irukka ippo?"
[Wasn't she with that guy, James? Why is she with this guy now?]

"Illa ma, David avaloda ex-boyfriend"

"Pazhaya boyfriend dhaana? Yen kiss adikaranga apdina?"
[Ex boyfriend right? then why is she kissing him?]

"Innum pudichirko ennamo"
[Maybe she still likes him]

"Chi chi, enna pombala ava."

Antha kal onnu irunthuthe athu yenga ma
[Where is that Granite Ma?]

Yethukku?
[For what?]

“Indha TV-a odaikka”
[Want to crash this TV]

"Ammaaa..."


And it didn't stop. She just went on. And on. And on. I do believe that it was the longest half hour of my life. And I ran out of saliva to swallow as well.
When the credits came on (finally), she left the living room saying something about how "Pasanga indha maari padatha paathu kettu kuttichavura poraanga".

I made a mental note that day to watch the film on the computer from now.



P.S: Mother will be Mother.




No comments:

Post a Comment